Alan E. Harris has practiced construction law for more than 30 years. His litigation experience includes the preparation and trial of complex construction cases involving defects and delay damages. He has reviewed hundreds of construction contracts for clients and has acted as their legal advisor to resolve construction issues before they became claims or disputes. Al's clients range from the State of California, municipalities and special districts to design professionals and contractors. His cases have covered a wide variety of projects including office buildings, roads, waste treatment plants, cogeneration facilities, dams, powerhouses, and apartment complexes.
Additionally, Al has mediated hundreds of disputes both for his clients and as the neutral party chosen by the claimants. He also has acted as an arbitrator, court-appointed special master, and expert in a large number of construction cases.
He frequently has addressed the American Bar Association, the Construction Superconference, the Practicing Law Institute and other organizations on the subject of construction claims and defenses.
- Chambers USA as a leading lawyer in construction law and as a top construction mediator in California
- The Best Lawyers in America in the areas of Construction Law and Litigation - Construction and is honored as the 2013 “Lawyer of the Year” in Construction Law in San Francisco
Memberships and Affiliations
- Professor of Construction Law, Boalt Hall School of Law, University of California, Berkeley
- Fellow, American College of Construction Lawyers
- American Bar Association's Forum Committee on the Construction Industry
- Former Chair, Bar Association of San Francisco's Client Relations Committee
- Arbitrator, International Court of Arbitration for Sport
- Arbitrator, United States Anti-Doping Agency
- Member, AAA Panel of Arbitrators