Charles Sink is of counsel in the firm’s Construction Practice and former chair of the Complex Litigation Department. His commercial litigation experience has largely involved construction or energy claims, and related insurance issues. He also has served as the sole arbitrator or panel chair in over 100 cases with the American Arbitration Association, with California’s Office of Administrative Hearings, and with the International Chamber of Commerce.
In state and federal courts, and in private arbitrations, Charles has represented private owners, public entities, architects, engineers, and EPC contractors. His claims experience covers many forms of public and private infrastructure, including: conventional, nuclear, and alternative energy power plants; mass transit systems; sewage treatment plants; bridges and roads; commercial, governmental, and office buildings; housing; and hospitals.
He has negotiated, drafted, or reviewed all manner of construction documents, including design-build agreements, EPC contracts, purchase orders, and professional service agreements. He has frequently advised clients on how to structure projects and how to resolve claims short of litigation or arbitration.
Charles is a Fellow in both the College of Commercial Arbitrators and the American College of Construction Lawyers. He has spoken and taught several classes on construction contracts and on dispute resolution. Chambers USA consistently ranked him among the top construction attorneys in California. He is listed in The Best Lawyers in America (Construction Law and Litigation - Construction), named the Best Lawyers 2015 San Francisco Litigation – Construction "Lawyer of the Year" and has been recognized by Who’s Who Legal as one of the “Most Highly Regarded Lawyers” in construction.
For several years, he edited The Construction Lawyer, a quarterly publication of the ABA Forum on the Construction Industry. Some of his published books include: Co-editor, Construction ADR, 1st Ed. (ABA, 2014); Construction Damages and Remedies, 1st Ed. (ABA, 2004) and 2nd Ed. (2013); False Claims in Construction Contracts: Federal, State, and Local, (ABA, 2007, update 2010); and The 2007 A201 Deskbook (ABA, 2008).
- Top ranked in Chambers USA in California for construction (2009-2014)
- The Best Lawyers in America (Construction Law and Litigation - Construction); 2015 San Francisco Lawyer of the Year - Litigation - Construction
- Who’s Who Legal's “Most Highly Regarded Lawyers” in construction for 2012
- Northern California Super Lawyers (2005-2019)
Memberships and Affiliations
- Fellow, College of Commercial Arbitrators
- Fellow, American College of Construction Lawyers
- Arbitrator, American Arbitration Association
- Arbitrator, Office of Administrative Hearings
- Member, ABA Forum on the Construction Industry