Matthew Cate helps individuals and companies identify and deploy the most effective and efficient strategies to navigate through a wide range of disputes. His practice has involved all aspects of business and real-estate litigation, product liability suits, and construction claims. Recently, Matt has:
- Obtained an award of more than $216,000 in sanctions against national law firm for its meritless lawsuit against a Napa County client.
- Represented a sharing economy company in arbitration of insurer’s effort to claw back substantial settlement payment.
- Second-chaired arbitration for Fortune 50 client defending against—and significantly curtailing—alleged breach-of-contract damages.
- Resolved securities fraud suit against tech company founder after narrowing scope of claims on summary judgment.
- On behalf building products manufacturer, obtained strategic summary judgment in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas.
- Obtained multi-million dollar settlement for plaintiffs pursuing fraud case against national bank.
- Successfully took on pro bono defense against improper unlawful detainer action, with client receiving substantial settlement payment.
Matt previously worked as a volunteer attorney for the Orleans Public Defenders Office in New Orleans. During law school, he served as an extern for the Hon. Jeremy Fogel and the Hon. Charles R. Breyer, both of the of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, and for the Hon. Carlos T. Bea of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit. Matt also interned at the U.S. Department of Justice’s Environmental & Natural Resources Division and the California Attorney General’s Natural Resources Section.
A former newspaper reporter, Matt is committed to defending the right to free speech and to enforcing and protecting open-government laws at all levels of government. He currently serves on the San Francisco Sunshine Ordinance Task Force, for which he was nominated by the Society of Professional Journalists’ Northern California chapter and appointed unanimously by the San Francisco Board of Supervisors. Mr. Cate also is a member of the First Amendment Coalition, Californians Aware, and the ABA Forum on Communications Law, and he is an active participant in the Electronic Frontier Foundation’s attorney referral service.