Farella Braun + Martel Earns Mansfield Certification Plus Status
Farella Braun + Martel is proud to announce that it has achieved Midsize Mansfield Certification Plus. The firm completed a rigorous 18-month collaboration with Diversity Lab—from September 15, 2021 to March 14, 2023—to track, measure, and achieve diversity in leadership.
The Midsize Mansfield certification process, modeled after the version for larger firms, was fine-tuned to boost diversity in leadership for firms with smaller lawyer populations, single office locations, and leaner firm leadership structures. The Certification “Plus” status, awarded to only about half of the law firms participating, indicates that a firm met the considerations and transparency requirements and successfully achieved 30% representation of historically underrepresented lawyers (defined to include women, lawyers from underrepresented racial/ethnic groups, LGBTQ+ lawyers, and lawyers with disabilities) in current leadership roles and pathway activities.
Farella materially surpassed Certification and Certification “Plus” benchmarks:
- At least 30% of lawyers promoted to partner were historically underrepresented attorneys: Farella reported 86%.
- At least 30% of current equity partners are historically underrepresented attorneys: Farella reported 43%.
- At least 30% of the firm’s governance roles (other than the Managing Partner) are held by historically underrepresented attorneys: Farella reported 54%.
- At least 30% of lawyers who participated in formal pitches to current/potential clients were historically underrepresented attorneys: Farella tracked over 77% in its industry group with the largest volume of pitch activity.
- At least 30% of the candidates considered for all lawyer searches were historically underrepresented lawyers: Farella reported 74%.
- At least 30% of the candidates considered for the firm’s other governance roles were historically underrepresented lawyers: Farella reported 89% who actually took on new governance roles during the 18-month period.
“We’re thrilled to achieve the highest level Mansfield Certification “Plus” status and to have significantly exceeded the required benchmarks,” said Farella Litigation Partner and Chief Talent and Inclusion Officer Sarah Good. “Our entire partnership has been intentional about increasing the diversity of our partnership as well as our associate ranks and working towards greater equity, inclusion, and belonging in our firm, the legal profession, and our communities. A diverse workforce is critical to our continued ability to provide superior and innovative service—a hallmark of our firm—to our clients. We celebrate these results but are not resting on our laurels. There is more work to do and we are just getting started.”
Farella Braun + Martel is a leading Northern California law firm representing corporate and private clients in sophisticated business and real estate transactions and complex commercial, civil, and criminal litigation. Clients seek our imaginative legal solutions and the dynamism and intellectual creativity of our lawyers. We are headquartered in San Francisco and maintain offices in the Napa Valley that are focused on the wine industry.
Farella Braun + Martel LLP
415.954.4433 / [email protected]