Skip Spaulding represents private companies, universities, and government institutions in environmental litigation and counseling. He handles all types of environmental and regulatory disputes, and has been lead trial counsel in numerous environmental cases in federal courts in California, Hawaii, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, and Washington, D.C. He maintains a unique brand in the Western U.S. for his expertise in citizen lawsuits brought under federal environmental laws.
Skip’s robust natural resource counseling practice obtains federal and state natural resource and land use permits for real estate, energy, and other development projects. Many projects are very large in scale and incorporate solar energy plants, transmission lines and substation projects, industrial, commercial and mixed use real estate projects, and educational facilities. He has negotiated water permits with the U.S. EPA and California water boards, represented numerous clients in obtaining wetlands permits from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, and resolved many difficult endangered species issues with various federal and state wildlife agencies. Skip develops real-world, business-focused solutions to challenging natural resource issues.
Skip applies a creative approach to resolving issues, and his impressive track record of success demonstrates his strategy. He particularly emphasizes close and frequent communication with clients, many of whom he has represented for years, and equally strong, longstanding relationships with the regulatory bodies and courts before which he appears.
- Northern California Super Lawyers; Environmental (2005-2007, 2010-2014, 2016-2018)
- Who's Who Legal California (2007)
- Wiley W. Manuel award for Pro Bono Service, by Legal Aid of the North Bay (2002)
Memberships and Affiliations
- Section on Natural Resources, Energy and Environmental Law, American Bar Association
- Board Member, Board of Directors, San Domenico School
- Vice President, Board of Directors, Angel Island Conservancy (2008- present)
- Board of Directors, Marin Theater Company (2005- 2008)
- Former Vice-President, Litigation Director and Managing Attorney of Sierra Club Legal Defense Fund, now named Earthjustice (1989-94)
- Adjunct Law Professor, University of Hawaii School of Law (1992-94)
- Former Member, Advisory Group of the United States District Court for the District of Hawaii (1991-95)
- Appointed Delegate, Judicial Conference for U.S. District Court- Hawaii (1992-94)
- Judicial Arbitrator, San Francisco County Superior Court (1988-89)
- Served as a judicial law clerk for the Honorable Robert B. Lee of the Colorado Supreme Court.