Rod Thompson’s practice centers on antitrust, civil litigation, and trial practice, with an emphasis on complex commercial litigation. His experience is particularly deep with respect to internet and technology companies.
With over 35 years of experience, and a track record that includes representations of large, well-known companies as well as smaller start-ups in a number of high-stakes cases, Rod is valued by his clients as a trusted advisor and as a skillful litigator. Clients trust his judgment on both the substantive law and how best to advance their business goals. Rod sees litigation as part of a broader strategic picture, and is relied upon to help clients understand when deciding not to litigate can be the better course than proceeding to court.
When a dispute does become a case, Rod is known for the results achieved and for being cost-effective. He is particularly skilled at staffing matters with junior lawyers, and managing them as an aggressive, highly effective team that delivers both great value and good results in efficiently resolving both litigation and disputes.
In addition to acting as an advocate, Rod also serves as an arbitrator, early neutral evaluator, and mediator in technology-related controversies. He has handled multi-week trials of IP cases to a conclusion as both advocate and neutral. Regardless of the forum, the dispute or the complexity of the issues at hand, Rod reliably and professionally helps his clients manage their litigation challenges efficiently—and usually prevail.
- 2016 California Lawyer Attorneys of the Year (CLAY) Award for his Ninth Circuit victory representing the City of Sunnyvale in its successful opposition to a Second Amendment challenge
- Daily Journal’s list of the “Top 75 IP Litigators” in California (twice)
- Best Lawyers in America (Intellectual Property Litigation)
- Managing Intellectual Property’s IP Stars
- Benchmark Litigation’s State Litigation Stars in California
- Northern California Super Lawyers
- PLC Which Lawyer? for Dispute Resolution
Memberships and Affiliations
- Sedona Conference, Patent Mediation Best Practices Drafting Team (co-lead, 2015-2016)
- American Arbitration Association (Arbitration and Mediation panels (1987-date); member Complex Case Committee)
- CPR Institute for Dispute Resolution (member, Technology and California Regional Panels) (1994-date)
- United States District Court (Mediation and Early Neutral Evaluation panels) (Local ADR Rules Committee 2018-19)
- World Intellectual Property Organization (UDRP, Arbitration and Mediation panels) (1999-date)
- Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence (Board of Directors, 2001-present)
- American Bar Association (IP, Antitrust, Dispute Resolution and Science and Technology sections)
- American Bar Association, (Antitrust, Intellectual Property and Dispute Resolution Sections)
- State Bar of California (Antitrust and Litigation Sections) (former Litigation Section Executive Committee Member)
- San Francisco Bar Association (ADR Section)
- Appointee Silicon Valley Arbitration and Mediation Center Tech List (2015-date)
- Member The Mediation Society (Board of Directors 2019)