Sandra Edwards has extensive trial experience in federal and state court, both as a civil trial attorney and as a former Assistant District Attorney for the City and County of San Francisco. She is the Consumer Products and Manufacturing Industry Group Leader and former Chair of the Environmental and Product Law Department.
Sandra litigates and has tried a wide variety of complex civil matters, with an emphasis on product liability, toxic torts, and environmental litigation. She strategically and successfully defends her corporate clients in MDL, individual and coordinated lawsuits for a broad array of products, including pharmaceuticals, agricultural chemicals and medical devices. She also has significant experience in high-stakes lawsuits involving toxic torts, groundwater and contaminated sites, the Clean Water Act, FIFRA, and Proposition 65, as well as private attorney general actions and citizen suits.
Her trial successes include a four-week pharmaceutical liability trial in federal district court in which the Hon. J. Rakoff returned a directed verdict for her client, followed by a jury verdict in favor of her client as well. She recently concluded a three-week jury trial in San Francisco Superior Court with a verdict for her client, including a finding resulting in the award of attorneys' fees. Sandra obtained unanimous defense verdicts in both federal and state courts for her client against product liability claims, and more recently negotiated a successful settlement on the day of jury selection on behalf one of the world’s largest aviation authorities.
Sandra has extensive experience representing major U.S. and international corporations in all phases of the litigation process, including defending an international manufacturer of regulated pesticides in lawsuits throughout the West Coast, pharmaceutical companies in MDL and coordinated proceedings, and domestic manufacturers of agricultural products in groundwater contamination lawsuits throughout California.
She has deep ties to the Bay Area, and acted as the General Counsel for the San Francisco Chamber of Commerce for eight years. Prior to serving as a Department Chair, Sandra was elected to two terms on Farella’s Advisory Board, which provides long-term strategic direction for the firm.
In college, Sandra played singles and doubles for a nationally-ranked women’s tennis team.
- The Best Lawyers in America, Product Liability Litigation-Defense & Litigation-Environmental
- Northern California Super Lawyers (2014–2019)
- Benchmark Litigation Top 250 Women in Litigation (2019)
Memberships and Affiliations
- Sustaining Member, Product Liability Advisory Council (PLAC)
- General Counsel, San Francisco Chamber of Commerce (2010-2018)
- Environmental Law Institute, Women in Environmental Law & Leadership
- Co-Chair, Subcommittee of Women Environmental Lawyers, Environmental Litigation Committee, American Bar Association Section of Litigation (2010-present)
- Co-Chair, Joint CLE Program Planning Subcommittee, Environmental Litigation Committee, American Bar Association Section of Litigation (2007-2008)
- Former Assistant District Attorney, City and County of San Francisco