Amy represents clients across multiple industry sectors, including real estate, construction, health care, and financial services, in insurance coverage and bad faith disputes of all kinds.
Amy is retained by policyholders to negotiate with insurers to maximize coverage and to strategically coordinate the defense and resolution of underlying litigation against her clients, interfacing with insurers, defense counsel, plaintiff’s counsel, mediators, and judges. Through such coordination, she can often help all stakeholders reach a resolution, as she did in connection with the Millennium Tower litigation.
Sometimes, however, high-stakes coverage disputes can only be resolved through litigation, and Amy is equally as comfortable in courtrooms and arbitrations as she is in settlement discussions. Recent litigation successes include:
- Defeated excess general liability insurer’s motion for summary judgment in coverage litigation arising from the 2018 shutdown of Salesforce Transit Center; underlying case settled in early 2023 shortly thereafter with contribution from the excess insurer.
- Prevailed on motion for partial summary judgment against builder’s risk insurer on a legal issue that the insurer described as one of “first impression” arising out of the 2018 shutdown of Salesforce Transit Center, and then, in 2022, defeated insurer’s motion for summary judgment and simultaneously obtained significant sanctions against the insurer for discovery misconduct; case settled shortly thereafter.
- Filed coverage lawsuit on behalf of a large health insurer against a professional liability insurer in 2022; quickly brought a motion for partial summary judgment, and coverage litigation settled while the motion was pending.
- Filed coverage litigation on behalf of a municipality against public entity risk pool and excess liability insurer in a dispute arising out of multiple underlying inverse condemnation and tort actions; moved for summary adjudication three months after filing in early 2022 and, while the motion was pending, resolved the underlying actions on favorable terms for the client.
- Represented mortgage services company in coverage litigation arising out of False Claims Act lawsuit; filed cross-motions for summary judgment five months shortly after initiating litigation against directors & officers liability insurer and professional liability insurers; mediated and settled coverage case while motions were pending in 2021.
- Represented real estate investment and services company in a dispute arising under directors' & officers' insurance policy; filed a complaint and quickly followed with a motion for partial summary judgment. Coverage litigation was settled in 2021 before the motion was ruled upon.
Amy has also testified as a coverage expert in arbitration.
- Lawyer of the Year - Litigation-Insurance (San Francisco), The Best Lawyers in America (2022)
- The Best Lawyers in America - Insurance Law, Litigation-Insurance (2018-2023)
- Recommended, Legal 500 United States - Construction (2021)
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America (2018-present)
- Editorial Advisory Board, Insurance Law360 (2012-2013)
- Northern California Super Lawyers in Business Litigation since (2022)
Memberships and Affiliations
- Fellow, American College of Coverage Counsel (2021)