David Lazerwitz’s practice focuses on federal and state environmental and natural resource laws, permitting, and land use matters, with an emphasis on the permitting, entitlements, and contractual requirements of large-scale renewable energy generation, energy storage, and infrastructure projects. He regularly advises clients on a wide array of issues arising in the planning, development and construction of solar and wind generation and energy storage projects and has served as outside counsel on the development of over 4 gigawatts of renewable energy and storage projects.
David’s compliance and permitting practice focuses on environmental impact analysis, endangered species, water quality, wetlands, and federal public lands issues, and working with agency officials and staff to address and obtain necessary development approvals. He has extensive experience in all aspects of project and site development, from orchestrating overall permitting strategies for complex large-scale development projects to securing individual permits and approvals.
David draws upon his project development experience to provide due diligence, purchase and sale agreement support, and counseling advice in connection with project equity and debt financing. He also is involved in negotiating and addressing permitting and environmental issues during project construction and operational phases, and advising companies in connection with site activities to ensure that the project remains in compliance with applicable permits and regulatory requirements.
David possesses significant federal and state court litigation and administrative appeal experience, including more than a dozen federal appellate arguments in environmental cases. In his litigation practice, he represents clients in actions arising pursuant to a wide range of environmental, natural resources, and public land laws. He also has extensive experience in defending federal citizen suit actions and in negotiating settlement and consent agreements.
Memberships and Affiliations
- Member, Environmental Law Program Advisory Board, Indiana University School of Law
- Member, Section of Environment, Energy and Resources, American Bar Association
- Member, Steering Committee, Renewable Energy Speaker Series, Environmental Law Institute and UC Berkeley Center for Law, Energy and the Environment
- Member, Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation
- Former Attorney, Appellate Section, Environment and Natural Resources Division, U.S. Department of Justice
- Served as a judicial clerk to the Honorable Robert H. Henry on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit