Jeff Fisher has a diverse practice involving a variety of high stakes intellectual property and technology disputes, including patent, trade secret, copyright, and trademark infringement, as well as antitrust and unfair competition cases. He serves as co-chair of Farella’s Litigation Department.
Jeff has been active in all phases of litigation, in both federal and state courts and at both the trial and appellate levels. He has specific experience with semiconductor and chip packaging technologies; computer hardware, software, and networking technologies; DNA, life sciences, medical devices and biopharmaceutical technologies; solar technology; internet and encryption technologies; digital data compression technology; and data centers. He also represents clients in connection with parallel Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) proceedings.
Notable engagements include:
Winning a jury verdict following a five week trial on trade secret and breach of NDA claims including a finding of willful and malicious misappropriation in a case pending in the Northern District of California relating to data center technology.
Winning a jury verdict following a three week jury trial for our client Volterra Semiconductor Corporation in the Northern District of California upholding the validity of Volterra's key patents for flip chip integrated power switches against challenges by defendants Infineon and Primarion. Infringement in favor of our client had been determined prior to trial as a result of key rulings we obtained in favor of Volterra in connection with claims construction and summary judgment proceedings.
Representing Dolby Laboratories in seeking a declaratory judgment that Dolby’s AC-3 (Dolby Digital) technology did not infringe patents that Alcatel-Lucent had asserted against Dolby’s licensees. Following protracted litigation, in which we obtained discovery sanctions against Alcatel-Lucent on multiple occasions and attorneys’ fees at the conclusion of the case, we successfully obtained orders granting summary judgment of non-infringement on the patents-in-suit. The Federal Circuit affirmed the district court's orders awarding summary judgment and attorney's fees.
He has served as a member of Farella’s Advisory Board. Jeff managed a congressional campaign in California's 38th Congressional District during the 1996 election cycle.
- The Best Lawyers in America in the area of Litigation- Patent (2019)
- Managing Intellectual Property’s IP Stars (2013-2018) in the areas of Patent Litigation and Trademark
- Daily Journal “Top 75 IP Litigators” in California (2012, 2019)
- Northern California Super Lawyers (2011-2018)
Memberships and Affiliations
- Member, Board of Directors, Legal Aid of Marin
- Co-chair, Northwestern University Leadership Circle of the San Francisco Bay Area
- Board member, ConnectED: The National Center for College & Career
- President, Ninth Judicial Circuit Historical Society (2008-2012)
- Chair, Intellectual Property Section, Bar Association of San Francisco (2009 - 2010)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers (ABTL)
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- San Francisco Bay Area Intellectual Property American Inn of Court