Linda Sobczynski Gilleran's practice spans a diverse range of permitting, compliance, enforcement, and litigation matters arising under state and federal environmental laws, including the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA), National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), Clean Air Act, Clean Water Act, and Endangered Species Act. She has extensive experience counseling public and private clients on environmental review under CEQA and NEPA, participating in land use-related administrative proceedings and appeals, and litigating in state and federal court.
Additionally, Linda represents large and small businesses in matters involving liability for cleanup and site remediation, environmental enforcement defense, and toxic torts.
Prior to commencing her legal career, Linda interned at several environmental regulatory agencies. Her internships have included service with the State Water Resources Control Board, the California Energy Commission, the Environmental and Natural Resources Division of the United States Department of Justice in Sacramento, California, and the United States Environmental Protection Agency in Washington, DC.
That initial exposure coupled with her science background makes her a lawyer clients rely on to develop case strategies, prepare concise, digestible, and incisive memoranda and motions, and clarify the underlying scientific issues in what are often complex matters. Regulatory agency decisions are often informed by technical concepts, and Linda’s capabilities in this regard are invaluable.
Linda is a co-chair of Farella's Learning + Development Committee.
- Northern California Rising Stars by Super Lawyers, Environmental Litigation (2023)
- Best Lawyers in America: Ones to Watch, Energy Law; Environmental Law; Litigation–Environmental (2024)
Memberships and Affiliations
- Steering Committee Member, Environmental Law Institute: Women in Environmental Law & Leadership (2023)
- Executive Committee Member, The Bar Association of San Francisco: Environmental Law Section (2022-2023)
- Emerging Leaders Initiative, Environmental Law Institute (2020-2022)
- Fellow, Clean Energy Leadership Institute (2019)