Representative Cases and Matters for Mary McCutcheon
Directors and Officers and Management Liability
- Represents a number of public companies and their directors/officers in obtaining coverage for defense and indemnity costs in securities, derivative and merger and acquisition actions, including Chesapeake Energy, Intuitive Surgical, Zynga, Finisar Corporation, Cadence Design, J.C. Penney, Herbalife and Starz. These matters have included “Side A” claims where the company recovered losses through coverage available to its directors and officers.
- Advises international shipping companies on coverage issues arising out of securities and preference claims asserted in multiple jurisdictions and involving foreign policy forms.
- Obtained coverage for the defense of a private medical testing device company facing investor fraud and product failure claims.
Venture Capital and Private Equity
- Represents venture capital and private equity firms in disputes with liability insurers over coverage for securities fraud, shareholder representative liability, commercial disputes, and employment claims.
- Advises firms regarding coverage wording and placement.
Architects and Engineers Professional Liability
- Represents international architect/engineering firms in coverage disputes over damages and delay claims involving complex issues of multi-party insurance and indemnity.
- Represents an artificial intelligence company in insurance claims arising out of a data breach affecting customers and their consumers; involves coverage issues relating to company’s direct losses as well as liability claims.
- Represents a cloud communications platform company in negotiations for coverage for a class action settlement of invasion of privacy claims in connection with the recording of text messages.
- Provides strategic coverage advice to a ride-sharing company in connection with significant automobile accident claims involving its drivers.
- Assists technology companies in obtaining coverage for intellectual property, product failure, wrongful termination and invasion of privacy claims.
- Advise technology, media, hospitality and other companies on obtaining coverage for defense and settlement of sensitive wrongful termination claims.
- Provides coverage advice to foundations and other non-profit organizations regarding the placement of insurance and protection of high-net worth individuals involved in the organizations.
- Represents public and semi-public entities in obtaining coverage under traditional and captive programs for claims including antitrust, police brutality, landslide property damage and personal injury claims.
Mass Casualty Claims
- Represented Connex Railroad (now Veolia Transportation) in the settlement of personal injury claims arising out of the 2008 Chatsworth commuter rail accident.