Ray Sheen represents companies in disputes with their insurers over complex insurance recovery matters. He has secured hundreds of millions of dollars in insurance proceeds for his clients.
Ray has advised his clients on—and litigated where necessary—the coverage available for a wide range of claims and losses, including product liability lawsuits and product recalls; securities class actions and derivative lawsuits; copyright, trademark, and patent litigation; media liability claims; trade secrets litigation and related criminal proceedings; data breaches and other cyberliabilities; first-party property losses; crime/fidelity bond losses; antitrust and other business tort litigation; and employment claims. Some of Ray’s representative engagements include:
- Advised two tech companies in securing coverage for product liability claims alleging personal injury.
- Represented a health and wellness company (as well as its parent) for a trademark infringement lawsuit against the company and obtained a highly favorable settlement from the company’s general liability and media liability insurers.
- Litigated claims under fidelity bond/crime insurance policy for a mortgage bank’s losses arising from a ‘phishing’ scheme.
- Represented a consumer products company making wearable devices in successfully obtaining coverage, under trade credit policies, for losses arising from the bankruptcy of one of the client’s distributors.
Ray assists policyholders with negotiating and maximizing their insurance assets, including directors and officers (D&O), cyberliability, and errors and omissions (E&O) policies. He has advised clients on insurance issues related to mergers and acquisitions and real estate transactions.
He is recognized by Chambers USA in the California: Insurance–Policyholders section (2021-2023, Band 4). A client commented to Chambers that “Ray is an exceptional adviser with deep understanding of insurance recovery, strong analytical skills and superb client service.” Ray has also been selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America in the area of Insurance Law (2021-2023). He is a fellow of the American College of Coverage Counsel. He was a Leadership Council on Legal Diversity Fellow in 2016.
Ray served as a law clerk to the Honorable J. Spencer Letts of the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California and as an extern with the Honorable Thelton E. Henderson of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California.
- Chambers USA: Insurance Policyholder - California, Band 4 (2021-2023)
- Best Lawyers in America, Insurance Law (2021-2024)
- Northern California Super Lawyers (2023)
Memberships and Affiliations
- Fellow, American College of Coverage Counsel
- Fellow, Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (2016)