Kelly Matayoshi is co-leader of the Consumer Products Initiative. She represents a broad range of local and international companies to thoughtfully handle their complex litigation needs. In her business litigation practice, Kelly focuses on products liability, contract disputes, breach of fiduciary duty, and other business disputes. She has a deep understanding of the consumer products industry, having many clients in this space. Kelly is national coordinating counsel for a flexible gas tubing manufacturer, where Kelly handles every aspect of litigation, beginning with the notice letter that originates the case, through fact-gathering, working with experts, discovery, motion practice, negotiation, and settlement or trial.
Kelly also has extensive employment experience, effectively representing employers in state and federal court as well as numerous agencies on a range of causes of action including wrongful termination and class action wage and hour disputes. She has represented employers in the transportation and sales industries concerning issues arising under a variety of employment statutes and regulations such as exemptions, split shifts, meal and rest breaks, overtime, vacation, wage statements, deductions, and commissions.
Kelly is particularly gifted at building the relationships that make her an efficient practitioner, and in working cooperatively with all the parties to a dispute to uncover a mutually acceptable solution. She is the exact opposite of a scorched-earth litigator – she seeks, and usually finds, the consensus that brings disputes to swift, equitable, and favorable conclusions.
She served as an extern for Judge Edward Chen of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California and represented a pro bono client before the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals as part of the Hastings Appellate Project.
- 2022 Diversity Award, Barristers Club of the Bar Association of San Francisco
- 2021 Outstanding Barristers Award, Barristers Club of the Bar Association of San Francisco
- 2021 Minority Bar Coalition Unity Award, Barristers Club of the Bar Association of San Francisco
- The Best Lawyers in America: Ones to Watch - Commercial Litigation, Product Liability Litigation - Defendants (2021-2023)
- Northern California Super Lawyers Rising Stars in Business Litigation (2015-2023)
- Laurie Miller Award for Public Service, ABA Section of Litigation (2018)
Memberships and Affiliations
- Managing Director (2023-2024), Managing Director Designate (2022-2023), Section of Litigation, American Bar Association
- Member, UC Hastings Foundation Board of Trustees (2022)
- Member, Elimination of Bias Committee, San Francisco Superior Court (2021)
- Member, Advisory Board, UC Hastings Center for Litigation and Courts (2021)
- President, Barristers Club, Bar Association of San Francisco (2020)
- President, UC Hastings College of the Law Alumni Association Board of Governors (2019-2020)
- Director, Asian American Bar Association of the Greater Bay Area (2016-present)
- Committee Member, Membership & Marketing, Section of Litigation, American Bar Association (2020-present)
- Co-Chair, Labor and Employment Committee, Section of Litigation, American Bar Association (2017-2019)
- Co-Chair, Section of Litigation ABA Annual Meeting (2019)
- San Francisco Leadership Team, Judicial Intern Opportunity Program