Kelly Matayoshi represents a broad range of local and international companies to thoughtfully handle their complex litigation needs. In her business litigation practice, Kelly focuses on products liability, contract disputes, breach of fiduciary duty, and other business disputes. She has a deep understanding of the consumer products industry, having many clients in this space. Kelly is national coordinating counsel for a flexible gas tubing manufacturer, where Kelly handles every aspect of litigation, beginning with the notice letter that originates the case, through fact-gathering, working with experts, discovery, motion practice, negotiation, and settlement or trial.
Kelly also has extensive employment experience, effectively representing employers in state and federal court as well as numerous agencies on a range of causes of action including wrongful termination and class action wage and hour disputes. She has represented employers in the transportation and sales industries concerning issues arising under a variety of employment statutes and regulations such as exemptions, split shifts, meal and rest breaks, overtime, vacation, wage statements, deductions, and commissions.
Kelly is particularly gifted at building the relationships that make her an efficient practitioner, and in working cooperatively with all the parties to a dispute to uncover a mutually acceptable solution. She is the exact opposite of a scorched-earth litigator – she seeks, and usually finds, the consensus that brings disputes to swift, equitable, and favorable conclusions.
She served as an extern for Judge Edward Chen of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California and represented a pro bono client before the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals as part of the Hastings Appellate Project.
- The Best Lawyers in America: Ones to Watch - Commercial Litigation, Product Liability Litigation - Defendants (2021)
- Northern California Rising Stars by Super Lawyers (2015-2020)
- Laurie Miller Award for Public Service, ABA Section of Litigation (2018)
Memberships and Affiliations
- President, Barristers Club, Bar Association of San Francisco (2020)
- President, UC Hastings College of the Law Alumni Association Board of Governors (2019-2020)
- Director, Asian American Bar Association of the Greater Bay Area (2016-present)
- Committee Member, Membership & Marketing, Section of Litigation, American Bar Association (2020-present)
- Co-Chair, Labor and Employment Committee, Section of Litigation, American Bar Association (2017-2019)
- Co-Chair, Section of Litigation ABA Annual Meeting (2019)
- San Francisco Leadership Team, Judicial Intern Opportunity Program