Mark Weaver is the chair of the Family Wealth Group. Mark assists individuals and families with estate and business succession planning, and guides family members through the trust and estate administration process. His practice is founded on a deep understanding of both the unique needs of families and multi-generational family businesses and ever-changing federal, state, and international tax laws.
His experience is both as a personal and tax attorney, and includes a full spectrum of income, gift, estate, and property tax issues. He regularly leverages sophisticated wealth preservation techniques, including the formation and administration of irrevocable trusts, business entities, sole purpose entities, and charitable vehicles, to implement his clients’ objectives. Mark also advises winery and vineyard owners on a broad range of business, tax, and succession issues.
A key aspect of Mark’s practice is counseling clients on cross-border issues. He provides estate planning advice for clients with beneficiaries and/or assets that are located in multiple countries, as well as for individuals planning to enter or leave the United States. He also advises clients on reporting requirements in connection with foreign trusts, bank accounts, and other foreign assets, including the benefits and risks associated with the offshore voluntary disclosure and streamline programs.
Mark also engages in privacy planning to limit publicly available information about clients and their holdings, and asset protection planning to protect clients and their families from potential liabilities.
- Best Lawyers in America, Trusts and Estates (2021-2023), Tax Law (2023)
- Chambers High Net Worth, Private Wealth Law, Northern California (2022)
Memberships and Affiliations
- Society of Trust and Estates Practitioners (STEP), San Francisco Branch, Member and Past Chair
- California State Bar Association, Section of Trusts and Estates, Section of Taxation
- Bar Association of San Francisco, Section of Estate Planning, Probate and Trust
- San Francisco Estate Planning Council
- Regional Parks Foundation, Planned Giving Committee